The 1920s was an exciting time for many in America. Also called the Jazz Age, many exciting changes in American culture were taking place. The purpose of this Webquest is for you to get a flavor for the times. Enjoy! You will spend 50-55 minutes exploring at least one aspect of culture from the 1920s. Then, you will venture back to the classroom to create a magazine cover that focuses on the area you learned about and is representative of the times.
- Choose one of the following aspects of culture to explore: Fashion, Cars, Sports, Entertainment, Women, Technology, or Crime
- Read about your topic using the links below. Become as informed as possible about that particular segment of culture. VERY IMPORTANT: Sites have both pictures and text. It is IMPORTANT that you look at the pretty pictures AND READ!
- Consider the themes, achievements, and important people that shape your topic.
- You may print out any words or pictures that you want to use on your magazine cover.
- If you finish exploring your topic before it is time to return to the classroom, feel free to explore a second area of interest.
- Once you return to the classroom, create a cover that might have appeared on a magazine like “Life,” “People,” “ELLE,” or “TIME.” Covers should have a combination of pictures and headlines that highlight the major trends of the day. Your goal is to capture the flavor of culture in the 1920s.
- Fashion for Men and Ladies
- History of Fashion
- The Ultimate Fashion Site
- Women’s Clothing
- 1920s Fashion
- Boys’ Fashion
- Movies and Radio
- Media History Timeline
- The Roaring 1920s Concert Extravaganza
- Audio Clips of Music
- Greatest Films of the 1920s
- Woman on the Silver Screen
- Flapper Jane
- Women’s Organizations in the 1920s
- Margaret Sanger
- Bessie Smith
- Amelia Earhart
Business, Industry, and Technology:
- Technology’s Impact of Life
- Charles Lindbergh
- Electronic Consumer Appliances
- Henry Ford
- Leopold and Loeb
- Sacco and Vanzetti
- St. Valentine’s Day Massacre
- Temperance and Prohibition
- The Scopes Trial
This short webquest should have given you an overview of 1920s culture. Hopefully, you have noticed how much of our culture today has been influenced by this period. This is a theme we will pick up on throughout this unit.